Before Taking Vicodin
Vicodin is frequently administered for relieving a person suffering from severe pain. This drug has combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen. It belongs to the group of narcotic pain relievers. Both for moderate and severe pain, this drug is used and proposed to be used by physicians to their patients. However, like every other pain relieving drugs available in the market, it is important to know some of the information, like:
- Like every other drug, this narcotic like drug should be stored in a secure place away from where the children can get hold of them.
- Vicodin has certain side affects. This can impair reaction of the patient as well as their thinking ability. So, if the patient frequently drives or is engaged in any sort of job, which requires them to stay alert or awake, they should be very careful.
- One must always and completely avoid alcohol during the course of this drug, because it damages the liver.
- One might develop the habit of taking this drug again and again, because of a particular element called hydrocodone present in the drug. So, it must not be taken more than the prescribed dose suggested by the physician.
- It is important to inform the doctors about the ailments one is suffering from. If anyone has liver damages and suffering from cirrhosis of liver, they may not be able to take this medicine, because it has acetaminophen.
- Someone allergic to acetaminophen should avoid taking the drug. Same is true for hydrocodone.
- If patient has a history of abuse to any form of drug, they should avoid taking this drug completely.
- In case the patient is used to drinking regularly, they must inform the physician about the habit and how many alcoholic beverages they are used to having per day.
- Patients suffering from conditions as asthma, sleep apnea, breathing disorders, COPD and such others should not take this drug. In fact, those suffering from kidney diseases and history of brain or head injury should also avoid the drug completely. In case of mental illness or thyroid problem, one must consult physician, before taking the drug.
Vicodin is an FDA approved drug available in the market. It is based under category C. It is not known how much or whether this drug is harmful to unborn baby. However, some of the patients are observed to suffer from withdrawal symptoms after taking this drug. This drug also has the potency of passing over to breast milk.
So, someone who is pregnant or about to become pregnant must always inform the doctor whether they are breast feeding their infant or not. In case, patients feel sedated or there is change in the eating pattern systems after taking this drug, it should be immediately informed. People who are above the age of 60 must take certain precaution. They are at risk of suffering from hypotension, depression, confusion, urinary problems and constipation. Weight based dosing must be given to a child below the age of 12 years.